The Spell Check feature, is a Windows-only feature. If you are using a Mac and want to use spell check you can use a third party app. The Spell Check feature (Windows OS) checks the spelling of words in the following fields:
- Sales: Description (for Service, Professional, Item, and Miscellaneous layouts) and the Notes field for the Time Billing layout
- Purchases: Description (all layouts)
- Item Information: Item Name (under the Item Profile tab) and Item Description (under the Item Details tab)
The AccountEdge Spell Check (spelling) feature can be disabled (or enabled) in the Preferences window (Setup > Preferences > Windows). The last entry in this window shows the status of the Spell Check feature.
User-added dictionary words (Learn) are stored in a file named correct.tlx, which is located in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Wintertree\Spelling\.
If you are having difficulty writing to the file (saving user-defined words), check permissions. The user needs to be logged on to the machine with Administrator privileges, and have permission to write to the file, as well as its folders.
Finally, if you have more than one dictionary on your Windows machine, you can select the default dictionary by clicking the Spelling button at the bottom of the preferences window (Setup > Preferences > Windows).
Getting Prompted for Misspelling Error for Every Word
If you have trouble with spellcheck catching every word, regardless of whether or not they are spelled correctly, you can resolve this by changing the spelling dictionary to British English and then back to American English to correct the dictionary.
To do this:
- Go to Setup from the menu bar at the top of the screen
- Choose Preferences from the drop down menu
- Click on the Windows tab and then click the Spelling button at the bottom of the window
- Click on the dropdown under Main Dictionary Language and change it to British English
- Click Ok
- Click on the the Spelling button at the bottom of the window
- Click ont he dropdown under Main Dictionary Language and change it back to American English
- Click Ok and then close the Preferences window
Spell Check on Mac
Unfortunately AccountEdge cannot yet support the Mac OS built in spell checking until we are done with some under-the-hood work with AccountEdge. Until then there are 3rd party apps that could be used with AccountEdge including an app from Linguisoft called Grammarian ProX 2 that is a powerful spelling, grammar and dictionary app. The app allows you to set preferences per application.
Here’s a video on how the application works with AccountEdge.