Understanding Audit Trail
You can track specific transactional, tax, account, payroll, and system changes made to your company file using an Audit Trail tracking system. You can then print an Audit Trail report which lists all the changes recorded in a specified date range.
To enable Audit Trail tracking:
- Go to the top menu bar and select Setup > Preferences.
- Select the Security tab at the top.
- Check off the Use Audit Trail Tracking preference.
To view the Audit Trail report:
- Go to the top menu bar and select Reports > Index to Reports.
- Select the Accounts tab at the top.
- Scroll down to the Audit Trail section.
- Here you will find the Audit Trail report.
NOTE: The Audit Trail feature is extremely useful for finding which user has changed different transactions. That being said, it also can make your company file significantly larger and as a result slower, you should purge the Audit Trial during the Start a New Fiscal Year process to reduce file size and increase speed.
The Audit Trail tracking feature tracks and reports the following changes:
- deletion of transaction
- change of card selection
- change of card ID #
- change of date
- change of amount on any line
- change of account on any line
- change of item selection
- change of job selection
- changes to Receive Items transactions (only if the Transactions can’t be changed option is selected in the Security view of the Preferences window)
- deselection of tax on any line of a sales or purchase transaction
- change of tax code for a sales or purchase transaction
- change of tax amount for a sales or purchase transaction
- adding transactions with a tax code other than the default code for the selected card or account (invoices only, not orders or quotes)
- adding transactions with a changed taxable amount
- change of the linked account selection in any of the Tax Code Information windows
- change of the current account number
- change of the account's opening balance
- addition of a new account
- deletion of an account
- Changes to the setup of an employee’s card, including:
- pay basis, pay rate, or pay frequency
- the default wages expense account
- Carry Over accruals
- pay history
- tax allowance or extra tax withheld
- residence code and work code
- termination details.
- Changes to the setup of a payroll category, including:
- Type of Wages selection and pay rate
- Type of Accrual field
- Type of Deduction or Deduction Limit fields
- Type of Expense or Expense Limit fields
- change of the linked account selection in any of the Linked Accounts windows
- change to the lock periods security preference (this includes changes of the lock period date and the selection/deselection of the preference)
- change to the Transactions Can't be Changed; They must be Reversed preference
- change to the Use Audit Trail Tracking preference