Delete or Reverse Paycheck
You can delete a paycheck, unless one or more of the following conditions exist:
- The Security Preference is set to disallow the deletion of transactions (Setup > Preferences > Security > Transactions CAN'T be changed ...)
- The paycheck was paid via electronic payment or direct deposit
- A Pay Liabilities transaction that includes the payroll liabilities for this particular check, was recorded
To delete a paycheck, open the paycheck and then go to the top menu bar and select Edit > Delete Transaction. It is only suggested that you delete a paycheck if it was just processed and you haven't changed any payroll settings since processing it.
If you can't delete a paycheck then you can Reverse the original paycheck The only time you cannot reverse a paycheck is if it references Timesheets.
Delete/Reverse Paychecks Referencing Timesheets
Paychecks referencing Timesheets cannot be Reversed however, they can only be deleted.
If you cannot delete the paycheck first make sure that it is not because of the Security Preference (Setup > Preferences > Security > Transactions CAN'T be Changed; They Must be Reversed).
If the security preference is not checked off and you still can't delete the paycheck (was paid electronically) you can use the method below to reverse the check.
Reversing a Paycheck that References Timesheets and Can't be Deleted
If the paycheck references timesheets and was paid electronically, it must be handled as follows:
- Make a backup of your company file
- Open the Transaction Journal (Command Centers > Payroll > Transaction Journal)
- Locate the check to be deleted
- Click the arrow to its left to open the paycheck; note (or print) its details
- Close this paycheck window
- Turn off the Timesheets feature (Setup > Preferences > System > I Use Timesheets ...) (uncheck this feature)
- Please Note! By changing the timesheet preference, all payroll categories will be removed from activity slips within your company file. If you have many payroll categories attached to activity slips, removing the information may take more than a few minutes.
- Create a paycheck for the employee that matches the paycheck you noted; we'll refer to this check as a temp check
- Turn on the Security Preference to disallow deletion of transactions (Setup > Preferences > Security > Transactions CAN'T be changed ...)
- In the Transaction Journal, click the arrow to the left of the temp check just created
- With the check window open, Reverse the check (Edit > Reverse Transaction); click Record
- Turn off (uncheck) the Security Preference (Setup > Preferences > Security > Transactions CAN'T be changed ...)
- Click the arrow to the left of the temp check
- With the check window open, Delete this check (Edit > Delete Transaction)
- Click arrow to the left of the Reversed check and edit its memo to indicate reason for reversal, etc.
- Turn on the Timesheets feature (Setup > Preferences > System > I Use Timesheets ...)
- Turn on the Security feature if it needs to be on by regulation or company policy